For the past few weeks we have been enthralled with New Horizon’s images of the dwarf planet named Pluto. New Horizons was launched in January 2006 with a full payload of multi-spectral imaging and sample analysis equipment. It has taken approximately nine and half years to reach Pluto. And you thought it took you a long time to get the family organized for a family photo! With the images of Pluto history has been made as the U.S. is the first nation to complete the initial reconnaissance of our solar system.
Pluto is roughly three billion miles away and it takes approximately 4.5 hours for New Horizons to send an image of Pluto to Earth. Click – Snap – Wait 4.5 hours. The wait has been worth it! The images have been spectacular and they fill the mind with wonderment and create an almost visceral Star Trekian response to begin proclaiming, “Space: the final frontier…to explore strange new worlds…to boldly go where no man has gone before.” NASA’s science mission statement for New Horizons is: “a close-up look at these worlds from a spacecraft promises to tell an incredible story about the origins and outskirts of our solar system.” So, what incredible story do the images of Pluto tell us?
The Psalmist provides the answer: “The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands” (Psalm 19:1). Man discovered Pluto a mere 85 years ago; God knew of its existence since creation. Scripture is clear that God made Pluto, our solar system, the Milky Way galaxy, and the universe:
- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth… (Genesis 1:1)
- When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained… (Psalm 8:3-4)
- …He delivers and rescues and performs signs and wonders in heaven and on earth… (Daniel 6:27)
- …and by His understanding He has stretched out the heavens. (Jeremiah 10:12)
- …I, the Lord, am the maker of all things, stretching out the heavens by Myself and spreading out the earth all alone… (Isaiah 44:24)
- Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool….”For My hand made all these things, thus all these things came into being,” declares the Lord. (Isaiah 66:1-2)
- For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible…all things have been created through Him and for Him. (Colossians 1:16)
Yes, the images of Pluto are spectacular and scientific exploration of Pluto and its moons has merit. The penultimate value of the science is to point to the Creator. Abraham Lincoln stated, “I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.” “God thunders with His voice wondrously, doing great things which we cannot comprehend” (Job 37:5). “He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them. Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite” (Psalm 147:4-5) “Who has ascended into heaven and descended?…What is His name or His son’s name? Surely you know!” (Proverbs 30:4). Yes, His name is Father God and His Son is Jesus Christ.
“To whom then will [we] liken God? Or what likeness will [we] compare with Him?” (Isaiah 40:18). Nothing can compare to Him, the one who speaks planets, stars, and complete galaxies into existence. The planetary selfie of Pluto shouts, “How great is our God!”